Saturday, January 7, 2012

When Pictures Get you Thinkin'

Scott has some cool new contraption hooked up to the t.v. It's some sort of Apple web/t.v. decvice that picks up  photos and movies and images from other Apple devices and streams them to your computer...

I can hardly write this blog post because baby picture after baby picture after baby picture of the girls is streaming by on our flat screen television.

I can't help but think about all of the things that all of the older women have said to me on all of the occasions that we have been out in public, or at a party, or in church...

They said it would go fast...I didn't expect it to go THIS fast and to realize it so soon.

The ladies at church...they said the girls would only be this small for a short time...I was certain the diapers and the mid- night crying and the messes were going to last an eternity (well...the messes persist, but the other parts, they are figments of our past already!).

On so many days I say to Scott..."Really, you want another one...really? After all of this!?"

He looks at me in defeat and says..."Oh man...I dunno".

But then we see the pictures and I think Really, can I imagine not kissing one of those little heads one more time, or squeezing their cheeks, or watching them sleep in a swing, or smile at my glance or coo in response to a hello. Really...am I done with all of that?


I watched a gal that I really admire walk around our MOPS meeting the other day. She is preggo with her fifth. Yes, you heard me right...her FIFTH! Oh my...I see women like that sometimes and think God must have forgotten to install one last microchip in my brain...

God, I ask, where is the chip that makes me feel like I could handle 3 or 4 or 5 kids? How come some women make it look so easy...and then chicks like me make people never want to have kids. Ever. Ever.


As I watched that mom at my group the other day I felt a sense of awe and respect for her. With each child we have we are forced to give away a little piece (and peace!) of our independence...a little piece of our freedom and the ability to do the things we want to do...I could say that another way...and this is what I see when I look at her...With each child we must forgo selfishness a little bit more, and a little bit more, and a little bit more...it becomes less and less and less about you and your dreams...for a time anyway...and more and more and more about loving a child into the world to bear dreams of their own.


Sometimes I ask myself, Lisa, really, if God has one more little life to bring into this world that is part you and part Scott, could you really say "No...I can't do it...I'm in over my head."


Now that wouldn't be very faithful of me, would it?  To say to the God that promises to fill us with everything we need to do the tasks He sets before us that I'm not strong enough, capable enough.

Funny thing is...He already knows that. He knows we ALL have insecurities, we all have weaknesses...we all NEED Him!


As I've said to friends...I feel like there is one more little Littlewood that is supposed to be in this world...

Sometimes I tease Scott and tell him he better find a second wife to help out with that...because this mommas not sure her belly or her mental stability can really be stretched that far...

Just kidding honey.

All that to say...children are beautiful gifts from God. We will likely jump of the edge and have another one of these days...

So while I may be ready to be done with this...

(I got a LOT bigger, for the record! this is one of the nicer pictures)

And DEFINITELY this...

just in case you didn't believe me...no, this is not a stock photo...that's MY  belly!






 I'm not quite ready to be done with this...


Or this...


Or this...



Pure sweetness...those last three...

But for now...well, maybe I'll just reminisce, enjoy the very quiet house...and...turn off that gadget before I get any more ideas!!



P.S. I just read this post to my husband and guess what he said?

                                                                                              "I don't mind if you get ideas!"

Oh my...out of the mouths of men!!! 

1 comment:

  1. you can do it! nine months from now is after Ava starts kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a few words...they make me smile!