Sunday, January 15, 2012

God Bless You...



I woke up this morning, at 6:30, before the girls, with full intentions of sneaking downstairs to write a heartfelt post about marriage.


The husband and I, we love each other very much and know that that love, through God, is the foundation of a marriage that will endure. 


That said...we've kind of been at each other lately...Anyone else ever have those days? Weeks? Seasons? 


Anyhow...Scott was up because he was getting ready to leave for church at 7:15 a.m... I quietly snuck out of bed, pulled my slippers onto my feet and tip toed out into the hallway. I was just about to sneak down the stairs when I decided to take a quick sneak peak into Ella's room. 


Her blanket was completely over her head...


Blogger mommy thought, She'll be fine, really she will. Just leave it there...you know what a light sleeper she is.


Real mommy thought, You better go in there and make sure she can breathe. 


I snuck in slowly. No movement from her...I'm safe. I made it to the bed and peeked in...sure enough, the blanket was not just beside her head but pulled up and completely covering it. 


Slowly, I admired her sleeping face and began to pull the blanket down. So sweet. So quiet. 


When suddenly...POP! Eyes open. Staring widely at me. "Hi Mommy!!!!" 


Now, I'm not sure if I woke her up, or more than likely, if you know Ella, she had heard me tip toe into her room and played "sleep" until just the right moment to pack the most impact at which point she popped up to say  "Hi Mommy!" in her most chipper, I've been awake for hours, non-sleepy voice. 


"Ella! You're awake?!"


"Yup!"


"Hi"


"Hi Momma."


I reached out to carry her downstairs. 


"Where's my suitcase?" she demanded.


She's been carrying around this purple, metal suitcase filled with lip gloss, since Christmas. It was one of those afterthought gifts. I was done Christmas shopping, saw Dora + lip gloss...and immediately thought "Ella"! 


She hasn't put the thing down since. 


She takes it to bed with her. 


If it's not next to her when she wakes up, she asks for it immediately. 


"Oh honey, it's right here." I had taken it from next to her side, and placed it near her feet while she was sleeping so she wouldn't roll over onto it....and...well...wake herself too early! 


Once she had her dog in one hand, doll in another, and suitcase tucked in, I was allowed to carry her downstairs. 


"Ella!" Scott said, "You're up?" He said in just as surprised a tone as we came down the stairs. 


"Yup!" she enthusiastically declared.


I told Scott the story of the blanket. He nodded a knowing and sympathetic nod. 


So here I sit, blogging about Ella and not marriage...which is o.k. I'll save the marriage post for later in the week. Ella is sitting next to me on the couch watching Dora (of course) and eating dry, chocolate Rice Krispies from a plastic Applebees kid cup. Judge as you will...we're all happy here (see photo above!).


About five minutes ago she let out a big sneeze. 


"Bless you Ella." 


She looked at me as if I had just said,  "I'm glad you sneezed...you deserved that." 


"MOM! Your a-suppose  (there is always an "a" in front of supposed when she says this...)  to say "GOD bless you." 


"I just did."


"NO you DIDN'T" 


"What did I say?" (I knew what I said...I wanted to see what she would say).


"You said..."Bless you."


"Oh...sorry Ella. GOD bless you." 


"Thank you," she says as seriously and matter of factly as you can imagine.  


Eyes straight back to Dora once she has been blessed correctly. Not another word about it.


Oh Ella...you certainly make my life much more interesting. 


I'll let you know when those thoughts on marriage finally make it up...Ironically, our biggest issue is probably exactly the reason for my writing this post this morning and not one about marriage...we have kids....marriage is tricky when little kids are on the scene...plain and simple. 


Happy Sunday and, in all sincerity...God bless you too! 


If you can't make it to church today our services stream live here at The Chapel's website...either go, or watch...you will be blessed, I promise 



1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS so that with the blankets....always that battle of risking awakening them vs safety...argggg...

    Can't wait for the marriage post ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a few words...they make me smile!