Wednesday, January 25, 2012

All in a Days...Work

Remember how I alluded to the fact that I don't have a whole lot of time to do things like...well...blog anymore because the girls don't nap any longer...well, here are a few more reasons I don't have a whole lot of time for a whole lot things these days...(I probably should be cleaning the house instead of writing this post, quite frankly, but I feel so much better about it all when I can laugh at myself and share with you!). 


Please feel free to pass these photos around to all of those endearing and well meaning older women who tell you they miss they baby and/or toddler stage...I'm sure I will feel that way someday...


These photos...they're all from my house TODAY...that's right. This isn't chaos spanned over several days, weeks or months...it is all in ONE days life as a mom...


For your viewing pleasure...A day in the life...




The photographic journal of January 24th, 2012




I went to bed at 10:15 last night, intending to get up at 5:45 to do this...



Every once in a while I like to sneak in an early workout to get it out of the way...That's all fine and good until your 2 year old wakes up crying for 25 minutes at 10:55...and then your husband finally comes to bed at 12:30 a.m. and then your 4 1/2 year old crawls into your bed at 5:10 a.m. because she had a bad dream and wants to know if all of our doors our locked to that the alligators can't get in...

I still got up at 5:45 and made it to the gym by 6:15...At that point I figure I'd be tired later anyways, so why not!

When I returned at 7:20, Ava was coming downstairs...She spotted the two new plastic coloring tables and paint I had picked up for her at the craft store last night...She wanted to paint...right then and there...

Why not? I asked myself...

And so we did...

Here are our A.M. masterpieces...


The paint is still sitting on the floor in the kitchen...it will probably be there the next time you visit!



Then Ella got up...Apparently, shortly after I left the house for the gym Scott heard something downstairs. Ella had gotten up and was standing on a chair in the kitchen all by herself at 6:05 in the morning...She never gets up that early...He put her back to bed kicking and screaming...As you can imagine he's tired today too...Don't let anyone ever let you think sleep deprivation ends at the baby stage...Nope...it goes on and on and on and on...

For the record..This is what Ella slept in last night...

Yup...it's Ava's Christmas dress from last year. Ella found it in her closet...I was not home (was out running errands, like buying paint!) when she went to bed. When I went in to kiss her head at 9:30 I found her in bed in this...

She wore it to school today too...


Wanna take a shower? Sure. You just have to practice your long jump over the toys on the floor, which is what I did this morning...At least they were not IN the bathtub this time, as they usually are when I am all ready to jump in the shower...


Just before I got in the shower I looked down on the floor and thought "What in the world?" ...My post-it tabs were lying in the middle of the bathroom floor...Hmmm...strange...


They had also been used to decorate the wall...


And the sink....


And where the post-it labels were not enough band-aids were used...several of them...



I'm just going to pause briefly...I'm thinking you're wondering where in the world I am when all of this chaos is going on around the house...Friends, readers...These girls...particularly the little one...does this stuff at stealth speed. She is quiet and sneaky and creative...It make for some interesting findings! 

I did discover this morning that if you want your kids to stay away from your food (every time I make something I have two little ones asking, "Mom...can I have some? Can I have some?") Make a spinach smoothie...I couldn't get one person in the house to take even a sip of this this morning! 


By the time I dropped the girls off at preschool and went to Starbucks to get some editorial/writing work done that I need to finish I looked like this....



This is the timer I set at lunchtime...Ella is the S-L-O-W-E-S-T eater on the face of the planet. It drives me C-R-A-Z-Y. Seriously, it takes her .10 seconds to eat a lollipop, but stick her lunch in front of her and you better have a good hour...She picks and pecks at her plate. She pokes at her sister. She sings songs. She asks for water. She does ANYTHING but eat. I finally set a timer for both of them (Ava was puttering around too and spilling soup on the floor!) and told them there were no treats after lunch if they didn't finish before the time went off.

I've never seen them eat so fast. 

I did have to set the timer a second time for Ella...I felt a little sad...I actually think she cannot chew very fast for some reason...

The timer helped...


After lunch while I was cleaning up and about ready to pull my hair out I ran to the downstairs bathroom to take a quick potty break...

Here is a picture of the locked bathroom door. 

Yup. 

"Who locked the door?!!!!" I screamed.

"Me," Ava said ever so nonchalantly.

"AVA! YOu CANNOT lock the door from the inside and then close it!"

"You can't?"

Oh my heavens someone please, please help me.

"No honey."

She got all teary eyed...."Are we EVER going to be able to open it again." 

"Of course..." I assured her.



An hour and a half later when Scott came home and I came downstairs from a quick snooze, I saw that he had unlocked the bathroom...

Guess what else I saw...


Yup...that would be a fleece blanket covering the toilet and the wicker ottoman from our living room...


And another fleece blanket on the floor, a duck suitcase, two stools and a stack of library books on the counter...Apparently the girls were creating a reading nook before they locked the door...All while I was preparing their lunch...


A few points of other random chaos from the day...

One of the many single shoes I find in any given place on any given day...


some strange pillow blanket concoction discovered in the living room...

My husband tied a string around my prescription bottle...in the middle of the lunch chaos I called him to tell him that my lexapro was missing...it had been for two days (yes, I'm taking a small dose of an antidepressant for my anxiety...that's a whole other story...). 

I finally called the pharmacy to ask them for a refill because mine was missing...

In the meantime I found it at the bottom of the jar where we keep our k-cups for our keuring machine...I have NO idea how it got there. Scott thought it would be funny to tie a string around it...the only string he could find was one attached to a yo-yo...he thought that was pretty ironically funny...

Found this after my catnap too...


This is the fish that the bagger forgot to put in my bag at the grocery store earlier...it was the only reason I had gone to the store...Poor Scott had to make an extra trip to pick it up..

This is my scary fridge, which kind of epitomizes how our lives feel right now...


This is the kind of stuff I find randomly around the house that cracks me up and that I WILL actually miss someday...


All of these photos were taken before 3:00 p.m. this afternoon...Let's see what the evening has to offer! 

Nothing like a little monkey business all in a days work...

For the record, the only reason I had time to write this is because I did it in lieu of cleaning on the one day the girls actually DID take a nap...well, I suppose they didn't have a choice today...Mommy laid down the law that EVERYONE would be sleeping this afternoon...I'll be paying for it at 10 p.m. tonight...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a few words...they make me smile!